Saturday, July 7, 2018

Once Long Ago

I don't remember not having this book. I vaguely recall reading it late at night when I was supposed to be sleeping, as entranced by the gorgeous pictures as I was by the stories.

I think my mother picked it up second-hand. My copy doesn't have a dust cover - I don't even recognize the one in the picture posted here, so I doubt mine ever had it.

This is the book I would save from a fire. When we purge the bookshelves to downsize, this one is coming with us. It defines for me the arbitrariness of categorizing books by age-group. It still captures my imagination as much as it did when I was four years old.  A good story is a good story. Where does age come into it?

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you still have this. My favorite Mother Goose book, with hypnotic illustrations, is on my shelf downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post completely captures what it means to love books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Although if there were a fire I would hope that you would rescue your dogs first, and then go back for this book.

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way about my Book House books (although they will be harder to save from a fire)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me wish my children had book blogs so I could read about the things I did right as a mother.

    ReplyDelete

Catching up day 3

May 21, 2018 My grandparents were the first people I knew to own a microwave oven. Theirs was brown*, had a tiny wind...