Wednesday, December 5, 2018

What the heck is that thing on my deck?

My dogs are not hunters. Once in a while, however, they manage to murder something and once they do they don't have a clue what to do with it. So they bring it to Mom. Last week, the thing they managed to murder and then gift me with was a star-nosed mole.

For the non-North Americans in the crowd, these varmints are just crazy-enough looking that you would be forgiven for thinking they must come from Australia. But they don't.


It comes as no surprise that we have moles. They work hard to dig up our lawn every year, so we've had plenty of evidence. But you don't get to see one of these bad-boys up close and personal every day, so of course I gave it a good once-over before laying it to rest.

And then, of course, I looked up a bit of information on them. Because you don't grow something like that on the end of your face for no reason. And I'd tell you all about the amazing powers of their amazing snouts, but I've run out of time.

Bwahahaha.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, fascinating! I'm a North American, but I've never seen one. My cats present me with less fascinating moles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about these but have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck indeed... that's so totally weird looking I had to look it up to make sure you weren't messing with our minds. And I came across this on Wikipedia: "With the help of its Eimer's organs, it may be perfectly poised to detect seismic wave vibrations." Maybe we should send a breeding pair to Mali?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if the nose is more shocking, or the fingers and nails are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is way weirder than anything in Australia! And I had to do what Helen did, because I want quite sure you weren't pulling our legs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok that is something.

    My cats never brought me anything except mice.

    ReplyDelete

Catching up day 3

May 21, 2018 My grandparents were the first people I knew to own a microwave oven. Theirs was brown*, had a tiny wind...