Thursday, February 28, 2019

Catching up, day 2


May 16, 2018

Jonesing for gadgets and wanting to become a minimalist do not exactly go hand in hand. So, though I’ve managed to get rid of a lot of  assorted “things” over the past few years, I still have a drawer in my kitchen filled with things I likely never should have bought in the first place.

May 17, 2018

For example, my sous vide machine. It attaches to the side of  a large pot filled with water, keeps the water at a very specific temperature, and cooks food “low and slow”, guaranteed to turn me into a gourmet  chef over night.  I couldn’t wait for it to arrive, and have used it exactly once.

May 18, 2018

I cooked pork tenderloin that day, a cut of meat that you really can’t ruin – there is no way that I have discovered (yet) to cook pork tenderloin that results in a tough meal. So even though I made a very good dinner that day, I can’t really attribute the win to my sous vide.

May 19, 2019

Most recently, I picked up an instant pot, and even though it is huge, even though it takes up a lot of valuable real estate in my kitchen, even though I know it is just a dolled-up pressure cooker (and I already had an old-timey one of those), I can honestly report ZERO BUYER'S REMORSE.

MAY 20, 2019

I use this sucker every week. Sometime I use it twice a week. Hell, I’ve been known to use it three times a week. I make big batches and store them individually in the freezer. My son, who does most of the cooking through the week, seems to love it as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone loves this. But can't I just use my crock pot for a lot of things? And why don't I use my crock pot much? It works when I do.

    ReplyDelete

Catching up day 3

May 21, 2018 My grandparents were the first people I knew to own a microwave oven. Theirs was brown*, had a tiny wind...