Friday, March 1, 2019

Catching up day 3


May 21, 2018

My grandparents were the first people I knew to own a microwave oven. Theirs was brown*, had a tiny window that was covered with some sort of screen, making it very difficult to see what was inside. I remember watching the first time she demonstrated this miraculous machine for us, heating up my grandfather’s lunch…


May 22, 2018

…while he took a break from the store**. We stood beside her, and I think we gasped when the plate of leftovers came out steaming after just a minute or so. How far we have come – the idea of reheating something on the stove or in the oven*** seems so ridiculous now. A waste of…


May 23, 2018

…time and energy. When we got our first microwave, I know we tried to use it to make cakes and other things, but the microwave oven is not created for baking. In my humble opinion, the only things a microwave oven should be used for are 1) melting things, 2) reheating things, 3) making popcorn…,


May 24, 2018

…4) timing things that are in the oven, and 5) providing a digital clock in the kitchen.

*Were they around in the 70s? Because I feel like my Grandmother had her brown microwave in the 1970s.

**My grandparents bought a hardware store when my grandfather couldn’t stand to work the farm any longer, and built…



May 25, 2018

…an apartment above it. My grandmother made lunch, and they would take turns minding the store while the other had lunch upstairs. I would love to see that apartment once more.

***I gave my daughter a toaster/convection oven at Christmas which she tells me has rendered her microwave almost irrelevant, except for the digital clock.


1 comment:

  1. I had a brown microwave for more than 20 years. Then it died. Then someone gave me a small one they weren't using. Then it died. And now I have a black/brushed steel one? Not even sure. I use it to heat things up. Not to cook.

    ReplyDelete

Catching up day 3

May 21, 2018 My grandparents were the first people I knew to own a microwave oven. Theirs was brown*, had a tiny wind...