Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Heron Series

This Heron
February 14, 2018



This heron resulted from a trip to Cape Breton Island years ago. I love almost everything about it. A rock and simple iron lines creating an elegant bird – who wouldn’t love it? Except I really don't have anywhere for it, not with two numbskull-dogs with waggy-tails. It shouldn’t survive a death purge, but I have no intention of letting it go.



That Heron
February 15, 2018



This guy showed up many years ago. His foot was injured, and maybe he was tired, but he let my son get closer and closer. I look at this picture and think how lucky we are B. didn’t lose an eye. Maybe the bird recognized the gentle soul of someone who got animals but struggled, and still struggles, to comprehend people.

6 comments:

  1. Both herons are beautiful. So is your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. And herons should be exempt from Swedish death purges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I watched my Duncan stand patiently by the bird feeder, sunflower seeds in his hand, sure that eventually a bird would land on his fingers. He was also a boy who got animals. The picture of B is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both herons and both stories about the herons. It was the heron that made me interested in birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went on a birding weekend this past fall and one of the guides has a son named Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Catching up day 3

May 21, 2018 My grandparents were the first people I knew to own a microwave oven. Theirs was brown*, had a tiny wind...